The Harris Stadium (formerly Fallowfield Stadium)

University of Manchester
Hall of Residence
Whitworth Lane

Telephone: N/A
Fax: N/A


Type: Cinder (no longer exists - built over), 400m, lanes, lane straight

Authority: Manchester
Ceremonial County: Greater Manchester

NUTS Name: Manchester (Fa)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: SJ 859943
National Grid Reference: 385900, 394300

Paper Maps:
A-Z Greater Manchester 1K 151
A-Z Manchester 6H 109
A-Z Manchester Mini 3B 102
OS Pathfinder Map: 724


The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose

Other Info:
This used to be a cinder running track with a cycle velodrome around the outside and was situated in Fallowfield. It opened in May 1892 and originally was called Fallowfield Stadium. The FA Cup final was staged here on March 25th 1893 when Wolverhampton Wanderers beat Everton one-nil. Larner set a world record for a walking event in Manchester on 13th July 1904 and it is thought to have been done here. Sydney Wooderson set a world 3/4 mile record here on 6th June 1939 with 2:59.5 and the stadium has hosted AAA championships. The cycle track was used for the Empire Games in the 1930s. The running track was used by Manchester AC who merged with Manchester & District Lads Club Harriers to become Manchester Harriers in the late 1960s. Manchester AC sold the stadium to the sprint cyclist Reg Harris in the 1950s and it was renamed The Harris Stadium. Manchester University purchased the stadium in the early 1960s and it was sometimes confusingly referred to as the Firs Stadium as the stadium was close to their playing fields called "The Firs" on which they had their own separate track from the 1930s until at least the 1960s. The running track was originally 440y but was altered to 400m in the late 1960s/early 1970s. The site is now Richmond Park Halls of Residence which was built in 1994.

Last update: 07/12/1999

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003