Beckett Park Athletics Centre

Leeds Metropolitan University
Sport & Recreation
Beckett Park Campus

Telephone: 0113 283 3160 (nearby Sports Centre)
Fax: 0113 283 7430 (nearby Sports Centre)


Type: Synthetic, 400m, 8 lanes, 8 lane straight

Authority: Leeds
Ceremonial County: West Yorkshire

NUTS Name: Leeds (B)

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: SE 267369
National Grid Reference: 426700, 436900

Paper Maps:
A-Z Leeds 5H 19
A-Z Leeds & Bradford 6B 66
A-Z West Yorkshire 9L 43
A-Z Leeds & Bradford (Ed 5 1993) 2C 43
Collins Leeds Streetfinder Colour Map E6
OS Explorer Map: 288, 289
OS Pathfinder Map: 683
OS/Philip's West Yorkshire 59 B6

Train: Headingley, Leeds (3M)

Opening Times: Mon-Fri 0900-2200 (prior to 1630 users must phone or visit the Sports Centre to arrange access rather than going straight to the track/Outdoor Centre), Sat 0900-1730, Sun 0900-1800
Is track locked/unavailable for casual use at other times: Yes
Charges: Adult 1.50, Junior 1.00

Track Diagram: Not available
Field Event Facilities: Full - DT/HT cage is internal
S/C Water Jump: Yes - in 1993 a women's S/C with 2'6" barriers too

Changing: Full in adjacent Outdoor Centre building
Floodlights: Track only, only throw possible under lights is SP
Seating: Grass bank only

Track Certification: Full - valid until 31st May 2004

Clubs: Abbey Runners Leeds, Doss AC, Leeds & Bradford TC, Leeds Beckett University AC, Leeds Carnegie AC, Leeds University AC, Leeds University Cross Country Club, Mercury (Leeds) Triathlon Club, Skyrac AC

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for www.runtrackdir.com is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose

Other Info:
The original track was built during the 1970s on the site of an old cricket ground and had a red/brown coloured tarmac surface. It was upgraded to a synthetic track in 1982/3 with 7 complete lanes and an 8 lane straight. The track now forms part of the Carnegie Outdoor Sports Centre and was reopened by Tanni Grey and Jane Sixsmith on 10th June 1998 after having been upgraded to 8 lanes all round, completely resurfaced and the jumps and throws areas reconfigured. The old pavilion dates back to 1890 and is a classified listed building. It was refurbished as a meeting area and vending machines installed. A new pavilion was also built which houses the Outdoor Centre reception and changing rooms. This reception is in addition to the main one at the Sports Centre. The pavilion is however situated only 2 metres away from the 8th lane. The work was funded by a 1,338,883 Lottery Grant to develop the whole Outdoor Centre which includes synthetic football pitches. The track is sometimes referred to as Carnegie College which is the old name of Leeds Metropolitan University.

Last update: 09/03/1999

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003