The Oval Wirral

The Oval Sports Centre
The Lodge
Old Chester Road
CH63 7LH

Telephone: 0151 645 0551
Fax: 0151 644 1673


Type: Synthetic, 400m, 8 lanes, 8 lane straight

Authority: Wirral
Ceremonial County: Merseyside

NUTS Name: Bebington

Electronic Map Links:
Multimap 1:10,000 (Street Level)
Multimap 1:25,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:50,000 (Area Level)
Multimap 1:100,000 (Road Level)
Multimap 1:200,000 (Road Level)
Streetmap (Street Level)
Streetmap (Area Level)
Streetmap (Road Map)

OS National Grid Reference: SJ 329850
National Grid Reference: 332900, 385000

Paper Maps:
A-Z Liverpool 3D 107
A-Z Merseyside 2F 127
Collins Merseyside Streetfinder Atlas 127 N38
OS Explorer Map: 266, 275
OS Pathfinder Map: 738

Train: Bebington

Opening Times: Mon-Sun 0900-2200
Is track locked/unavailable for casual use at other times: Yes
Charges: Adult 1.50, Junior 0.75

Track Diagram: Not available
Field Event Facilities: Full
S/C Water Jump: Yes

Changing: Full in stadium building and more salubrious ones in the Sports Centre
Floodlights: Track only
Seating: The stand is currently out of use due to it contravening fire regulations but it should be back in use by summer 2000.

Track Certification: Full - valid until 31st Jul 2005

Clubs: Warriors Pentathlon & AC, Wirral AC

Pictures: Please browse the selection here.

The display of inline maps of track locations is no longer
a free service and so has had to be withdrawn

Please use the Electronic Map links

Sponsorship for is being sought
Please contact Tim Grose

Click the picture for a larger view
Click here to see the list of pictures for this track.

Other Info:
The track was originally laid for Lever Brothers, Port Sunlight, in the 1920s and so is sometimes referred to as Port Sunlight. It was bought by Wirral Borough Council in 1973 and upgraded to 400m red shale. It was upgraded to synthetic in 1990. The venue was used for filming the 1924 Paris Olympics scenes in Chariots of Fire as the stand was the nearest structure to the Paris stadium available. Floodlighting is being installed (winter 1999) into the stand but the infield will still not be lit. There is a gate behind the stand which can be unlocked for ease of access for disabled users.

Last update: 25/11/1999

Please send any amendments to Tim Grose

UK Running Track Directory
© Copyright Tim Grose 2003